What is the Sustainable Development?
The world leaders embraced an ambitious development agenda on the 25th September 2015. The Agenda aims at achieving well-being and peace for people and the planet, as well as global prosperity as part of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Since then, the Agenda was put into action. Moreover, the efforts of governments combined with the private sector and civil society, in partnership with the international organizations, in order to achieve the values contained in the Agenda.
Aftermath the UN success achieved in the new millennium, on January 01, 2016, the Sustainable Development Goals Strategy, “2030 Global Goals”, was launched.
Sustainable Development Goals:
The Sustainable Development Goals are a collection of 17:
- No Poverty
- Zero Hunger
- Good Health and Wellbeing
- Quality Education
- Gender Equality
- Clean Water and Sanitation
- Affordable and Clean Energy
- Decent Work and Economic Growth
- Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- Reduced Inequalities
- Sustainable Cities and Communities
- Responsible Consumption and Production
- Climate Action
- Life Below Water
- Life on Land
- Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions
- Partnerships for Goals
Sustainable Development of the Digital Government Authority:
The Digital Governemnt Authority is a well-established development-oriented authority that is capable of implementing all the sustainable development agenda and goals. In addition, the Authority launched various programs for digital transformation in line with the Framework of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Saudi Arabia and in line with the UN’s scope of sustainable development. These programs include:
- Q-Tech: This program contributes to improving the government’s digital capabilities in the field of digital transformation, through developmental programs and knowledge activities aiming to creating an effective digital society.
- Adoption of Free and Open-Source Government Software: This program aims at making the source code of free and open-source government software available to all government agencies; which is in line with the rules of regulating free and open-source government software.
- Emerging Technologies: This program aims at stimulating innovation and enabling use of emerging technologies in the government agencies, by leveraging emerging technologies to improve and raise the efficiency of government services and capabilities.
- Digital Government Award: This Award supports digital government innovation and aims at fostering the building of an integrated digital society in Saudi Arabia which provides proactive digital services, thus contributing to improving the quality of life and achieving beneficiary satisfaction; to eventually reach a leading digital government.
- National Enterprise Architecture: This contributes to improving the level of digital transformation maturity, by supporting the implementation of the institutional architecture practice and developing sustainable governance through policies, standards, and guidelines. This comes in pursuit of an integrated smart government under a consolidated national vision that puts the beneficiary first.
- Digital Consultancy: This provides digital consultations to the government agencies to accelerate government digital transformation and to adopt innovative solutions.
- Digital Experience Maturity Index for Government Services: This index aims at measuring the maturity of digital government platforms, products, and services, and its channels, through a set of measurement components, with the aim of improving the quality of life of citizens, residents, and visitors, in addition to facilitating doing business, enhancing competitiveness, and increasing the efficiency of government works, thus strengthening Saudi Arabia’s leading digital position in global indexes.
- Activating the Inclusive Government Program: This program aims at governing the government digital ecosystem by leveraging government resources to provide digital services in a consolidated manner.
- Measuring Digital Transformation: The measurement aims at assisting the government agencies in analyzing their current status and follow up on the development of their journey of digital transformation according to best practices and standards, thus contributing to achieving the goals of the Saudi Vision 2030.
The Authority's aspiration for achieving the goals of sustainable development:
The Authority’s vision and mission are centered on achieving sustainable development goals.
They set the foundation for creating a leading digital government for an enabled lively society and providing smooth and integrated digital government services by leveraging technologies and focusing on the preferences of beneficiaries and enriching their experience by improving the experience of using digital and proactive government services, in addition to improving the efficiency of government work, by adopting effective and innovative models for digital transformation in various fields such as digital health, online education, digital economy, and others, contributing to increased productivity, optimal use of government technical resources and investments, leveraging modern technologies, and developing digital capabilities and talents. The vision and mission also focused on activating the principle of consultation, partnership, and cooperation with various local and foreign sectors and involving the beneficiaries in evaluating the digital services provided to them so as to achieve the principle of partnership, cooperation, and transparency in building sustainable development that achieves the desired aspirations.
Principles for the Sustainable Development Strategy of the Digital Government Authority:
- Building the digital government of the future by accelerating its growth and activating governance and regulation.
- Achieving excellence in digital government services and reaching global leadership in international indexes and ranks.
- Providing a consolidated world-class smart service experience.
- Providing all public servants with smart and pioneering capabilities.
- Providing the leaders with insights enables them to solve tomorrow's challenges.
- Providing a futuristic service through an inclusive digitally-enabled workforce.
- Developing the capabilities of a clearly-defined and rapid digital transformation through a strong collaborative environment for the partners.
- Leveraging shared resources to deliver more services for lesser fees.
- Developing a culture of cooperation and innovation to enhance the efficiency of digital services provided by the government agencies.
- Developing a sustainable digital government workforce.
- Improving the beneficiary’s experience with the government agencies.
- Leveraging the data and artificial intelligence of Saudi Arabia, economically and socially, through the joint national efforts of all stakeholders.
The Authority's Works and Aspects of Sustainable Development:
The Authority’s works are centered on achieving the goals of sustainable development in all its human, social, environmental, and economic aspects, which is demonstrated as follows:
- Social Aspect:
The Authority uses policies that focus on serving the community, aim to promoting and developing Saudi cities and enabling them through technology to achieve social prosperity and improve the quality of life, including education and health for everyone in rural areas, in order to achieve social integration in general.
In addition, The Authority’s policies also aim to the efficiency and effectiveness of the government agencies, develop the quality of services, and focus on beneficiaries.
- Environmental Aspect:
The Authority encourages the public and private sectors to adopt digital transformation and urges the use of digital transactions to preserve the environment by relying on technology in carrying out internal transactions and providing services electronically. This entails providing paperless e-services to the beneficiaries, wherever they are, without the need to visit the government agencies, which is positively reflected on the environment by reducing the use of vehicles for transportation and reducing pollution rates.
- Economic Aspect:
The Authority developed strategies aimed at leveraging the digital economy by adopting and urging using technological innovations in order to drive diversification and sustainability across the economy, increase productivity, create a more competitive advantage, create valuable and productive jobs, and enhance training, experience, and capacity building for such jobs.
In addition, The Authority developed a centralized digital infrastructure that enables all sectors and segments of society throughout Saudi Arabia to provide high-quality Internet at reasonable prices in a reliable manner, along with the highest level of security and privacy. Such infrastructure also enables access to data considered a cornerstone of the digital economy, providing innovative solutions to economic challenges. Moreover, it would reduce costs by minimizing the roles and reducing the use of papers.
Procedures for Adopting Sustainable Development:
The Authority adopted the concept of sustainable development for a number of measures, including the following:
- Developing government services by applying international best practices in this field and spreading a distinguished service culture.
- Launching a program for re-engineering and streamlining procedures in the different ministries, and establishing a one-stop shop for services.
- Adopting a comprehensive transformation method for providing digital services.
- Developing a robust central infrastructure to support the digital transformation of the government agencies’ systems and services and developing a common database for the government sector employees.
- Striking balance between the needs and resources available.
- Activating the role of beneficiaries in evaluating the services provided to them.
- Developing detailed and comprehensive action plans, providing alternative solutions and precautionary measures, and setting achievable goals.
- Raising public awareness about the work carried out by The Authority to enable beneficiaries to interact positively with its services.
- Activating the principle of partnership and cooperation with local and international agencies.
- Holding workshops and training courses in the digital field.